Questions to ask your letting agent
CHOOSING YOUR LETTING AGENT
Choosing your Letting Agent can be a confusing process, you need to choose an Agent with whom you feel confident will provide you with the best service and be assured that they will be acting in your interests at all times.
Not sure which agent to choose?
To help you decide, here are some key questions
- Are you a member of a professional organisation ie ARLA, " SafeAgent"?
- How many years have you been doing lettings?
- What about your staff - how experienced are they?
- Which tenancy deposit scheme do you belong to?
- What management options do you offer?
- What are your fees? Most importantly what is not included?
- Do you charge renewals to the landlords and tenants - if so how much?
- Where and how will you advertise my property?
- Do you have a list of tenants waiting for my property?
- How quickly can you start marketing my property?
- If there is more than one tenant who wants my property - what happens then?
- Do you carry out property visits, if so how often?
- What do you do if the tenant stops paying rent?
- Do I have to pay any fees upfront?
- What happens if I change my mind and want to withdraw the property?
The Association of Residential Letting Agents
The Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA) is a professional membership and regulatory body for letting agents and letting agencies in the UK. ARLA recognised the requirements of the residential lettings market were so detailed and specific that a separate organisation was required to promote standards in this important sector of the property industry. www.arla.co.uk
SAFE Safe Agent Fully Endorsed – is a mark denoting firms that protect landlords and tenants money through client money protection schemes. www.safeagents.co.uk
mydeposits is a government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme. It is designed to enable landlords and letting agents in England and Wales to take and hold a deposit for the duration of the tenancy. www.mydeposits.co.uk
DPS - Deposit Protection Service
Is open to all landlords and letting agents, and is the only scheme that is free to use. Funds are secured with UK Government approved banks. www.depositprotection.com